Friday, September 10, 2010

FamilySearch.org

Another link in my list is FamilySearch.org operated by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (the Mormons). This is a fantastic resource for searching for information on old family individuals. Also from this web site you can download for free the Personal Ancestral File (PAF) software. "PAF allows you to quickly and easily collect, organize and share your family history and genealogy information."

In ancestry web sites and software once you have a tree built, you can export what is called a GED file. This is a standard format which can then be imported into other web sites and software, allowing you to use the information you collect in several ways.

I do all my work in the ancestry.com web site, then export the GED file and import it into PAF. Occasionally I export a new updated version of my tree, as it is changing daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment