Sunday, September 12, 2010

Martin VanBuren Smith

Martin was my great-great-grandfather. In my research I had only known him as VanBuren Smith (born 1837) until recently, when I found a record identifying him as Martin VanBuren Smith. Each little nugget of information becomes so valuable, as it tends to lead us to veins of more nuggets.

This morning I awoke to find an email from someone else on ancestry.com, concerning Martin VanBuren Smith. This email gave me several pieces of information I did not previously have, date and location of death, and information on a daughter.

Family stories handed down said that VanBuren Smith had a habit of leaving for periods of time, and on each return named a daughter for a state he had visited. I do have three daughters listed as Florida, Virginia, Missouri. The morning email said that Missouri had a real name of Sara Olive Smith. So, I assume now that the other state names are nicknames also.

The email also gave me information on Sara Olive, her birth and death years, and spouse. Great nuggets!

According to the email Martin VanBuren Smith died in Sylvan Mills, just outside Shelbyville, Tn on 25 March 1899. I Googled Sylvan Mills and learned that a Sylvan Mill opened on the Duck River just outside Shelbyville in 1852, so that certainly make sense. The mill grew and evolved over the years. On Google Earth I found the mill and just down the road is a small village. I assume this would be the Sylvan Mill Village. Mill villages were very common.

If you aren't into genealogy you might not understand what a wonderful gift this email was for me, but let me just say, it was like opening a box on Christmas morning.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Martin Vanburen is my great great grandfather as well. My dad was Robert H smith, his father was Allen A Smith, his dad was Rufus H smith then Martin. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete