Saturday, September 11, 2010

So close, yet so far away

Sometimes, in my genealogy work, I run into brick walls. I am up against one now with my wife's Barbour family. I have them back to a William Parker Barbour born in 1826, with a fairly high level of confidence. But, I just can not make a link further back that I can confirm.

When I reach these brick walls, I somtimes just start working on another family line, and come back later. Occasionally, that works, as other hints pop up on ancestry.com, or I stumble across something that adds to my data.

But, what I have found recently that works better, is to take what I have and share it with other researches on the internet. There are great forums with categories focused on places and others on surnames. By posting in these groups I have had wonderful people very willing to share what they have that might be useful. The genealogy community thrives on sharing.

One of these forum friends even visited the Heritage Center in Johnston County yesterday and sent me photos of information seen in a book. I have not actually connected my missing link, but it sure seems to be leading me in the right direction.

I had sent a plea for help on this William Parker Barbour. I feel that the Parker in the name might be a hint from a mother's family name. As it turns out, and the information in the photos I received, confirms, there certainly was marrying amongst the Barbours and Parkers in Johnston County, NC.

So, now I am following this line of research, hoping to find that missing link. On the other side of the gap is a connection into a Barbour/Barber line that is well documented, far into the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment